What is 3D secure? (Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode)
3D Secure, better known as Verified by Visa, MasterCard SecureCode or Lloyds TSB ClickSafe, is an online security feature utilised by the majority of online stores in the UK. It is designed to ensure that the person placing an order online is the legitimate card holder rather than someone who may have stolen or cloned the card. It’s a bit like ‘Chip and Pin’ for the web and is designed specifically to protect you, the customer.
How does it work?
If your bank, building society or credit card issuer is enrolled in the 3D Secure scheme (almost all are) then you may need to create a 3D Secure password if you haven't done so already. If you have recently purchased from other online stores then you may already have created your 3D Secure password in which case there's no need to do it again. If you need to create a 3D Secure password then you can usually do so during the checkout process on TraderSupplies.co.uk, further details below.
The process for a 3D Secure transaction is as follows:
1) You enter your payment details on TraderSupplies.co.uk and click to confirm your order.
2) Our website contacts our payment service provider, Sage Pay, via a secure connection.
3) Sage Pay verifies that the payment details you have entered are correct and, assuming everything checks out, they contact your bank to take payment.
4) If your bank, building society or credit card issuer is enrolled in the 3D Secure scheme then at this point TraderSupplies.co.uk will load a 3D Secure login page, like the one shown to the right, which is generated by your bank. You will need to verify that you are the legitimate cardholder by entering your 3D Secure password to complete the order (or you will be asked to set up a 3D Secure password if you haven't already done so).
Please note that whilst the 3D Secure login page may appear to be part of TraderSupplies.co.uk, it is in fact a page generated by your bank, building society or credit card issuer and is loaded in a 'frame' on TraderSupplies.co.uk. Neither TraderSupplies.co.uk nor Sage Pay have access to any information that is entered into this login page.
5) Assuming everything checks out then the next screen you will see will be the TraderSupplies.co.uk order confirmation screen.
How does this make me more secure?
3D Secure effectively adds an additional layer of security by requiring you to enter your 3D Secure password every time you pay for something online using your credit or debit card. Like Chip and Pin, this information is known only to you and your bank and is only ever communicated between yourself and your bank. It is never printed on statements or accessed at any time other than when you are placing your order online.
Once you have correctly entered your 3D Secure password, your bank simply informs TraderSupplies.co.uk and our payment service provider, Sage Pay, that you have successfully logged in and verified your identity in exactly the same way that you enter your Chip and Pin number when paying for goods in a highstreet shop.
This means that, even if someone should clone your credit or debit card and have access to your name and address, they will not know your 3D Secure password and won’t be able to use your information to place orders online with TraderSupplies.co.uk or any other online store that uses the 3D Secure system.
You can find further information about 3D Secure at the following card issuer websites: